The land was originally inhabited by Indians who hunted and fished the area. The land was purchased from them in 1695 by investors who represented England and were sent from New York City. The town was officially established in 1847 when a meeting was held and the frist mayor was appointed, Mayor William Hogencamp. The town was named after a hero of the Revolutionary War, General Anthony Wayne. The town of Wayne became a farming community with mills, and blacksmith shops. After World War II, the town became more residential and modern when major roads and highways were created. Schools were built to meet the growing needs of the population. Today, Wayne is a well established town providing many things for many people of all ages.
|Town Name: Wayne|
|Address: 475 Valley Road, Wayne NJ 07470|
|Phone Number: 973-694-1800|
|Land Area: 23.82 sq. miles|
|Distance to NYC: 28.2 miles|
|Town Website: http://www.waynetownship.com|
|Library Website: http://www.waynepubliclibrary.org/|
|Water Service: Township Water|
|Gas & Electric: PSE & G|
About the Neighborhood
The dissemination of listings on this website does not constitute the consent required by N.J.A.C. 11:5.6.1 (n) for the advertisement of listings exclusively for sale by another broker. Any such consent must be obtained in writing from the listing broker.
Copyright © 2023 Garden State Multiple Listing Service, L.L.C. All rights reserved.