Cedar Grove was part of the Horseneck Tract, which was an area that consisted of what are now the municipalities of Caldwell, West Caldwell, North Caldwell, Fairfield, Verona, Cedar Grove, Essex Fells, Roseland, and portions of Livingston and West Orange. In 1702, settlers purchased the 14,000 acre (57 km²) Horseneck Tract, so-called because of its irregular shape that suggested a horse's neck and head, from the Lenni Lenape Native Americans for goods equal to $325. This purchase encompassed much of western Essex County, from the First Mountain to the Passaic River. Cedar Grove was originally a small farming community. In 1896, Essex County built the county mental institution in Cedar Grove known as Overbrook. In 1908, Cedar Grove was incorporated as a township. In the 1950s and 60s, Cedar Grove became one of the destination suburbs in Essex County among those looking to escape urban living from Newark and New York City.
|Town Name: Cedar Grove|
|City Hall: Cedar Grove City Hall|
|Address: 525 Pompton Ave., Cedar Grove NJ 07009|
|Phone Number: 973-239-1410|
|Land Area: 4.5 square miles|
|Distance to NYC: 20 miles|
|Town Website: http://www.cedargrovenj.org/|
|Library Website: http://cedargrovenj.org/library/|
|Gas & Electric: PSE & G|
Cedar Grove Properties
About the Neighborhood
The dissemination of listings on this website does not constitute the consent required by N.J.A.C. 11:5.6.1 (n) for the advertisement of listings exclusively for sale by another broker. Any such consent must be obtained in writing from the listing broker.
Copyright © 2022 Garden State Multiple Listing Service, L.L.C. All rights reserved.