Glen Ridge traces its beginning to 1666 when sixty-four Connecticut families led by Robert Treat bought land from the Lenni Lenape Indians and named it New Ark to reflect a covenant to worship freely without persecution. The territory included the future towns of Bloomfield, Montclair, Belleville, and Nutley. When Bloomfield seceded in 1812, Glen Ridge was a section "on the hill" composed mostly of farms and woodlands with the exception of a thriving industrial area along the Toney's brook in the Glen. For most of the nineteenth century, three water-powered mills produced lumber, calico, pasteboard boxes and brass fittings. A copper a sandstone quarry and mine were nearby. With the arrival of the Newark and Bloomfield Railroad in 1856 and the New York, Montclair and Greenwood Lake Railroad in 1872, Glen Ridge began its transition to a suburban residential community. Stately homes slowly replaced orchards and wooded fields.
|Town Name: Glen Ridge|
|City Hall: 825 Bloomfield Avenue|
|Address: Box 66, Glen Ridge NJ 07028|
|Phone Number: 973-748-8400|
|Land Area: 1.3 square miles|
|Distance to NYC: 18 miles|
|Town Website: http://www.glenridgenj.org/|
|Library Website: http://www.glenridgelibrary.org/|
|Water Service: Wanaque Water Shed|
|Gas & Electric: P.S.E. & G.|
Glen Ridge Properties
About the Neighborhood
The dissemination of listings on this website does not constitute the consent required by N.J.A.C. 11:5.6.1 (n) for the advertisement of listings exclusively for sale by another broker. Any such consent must be obtained in writing from the listing broker.
Copyright © 2023 Garden State Multiple Listing Service, L.L.C. All rights reserved.